The Bison Short Rib, when Braised correctly way is one of the best meats you will ever have. We are fortunate here in Alberta to have government guidelines set in place that allows all Bison to be raised in a pasture, roaming around, eating freely. This is how all Bison must be raised in Alberta for consumption. We have several Bison farms in Northern Alberta that make this meat very easy to find and with very high quality. It is truly a local’s favourite!
When you are braising, it is important to add ingredients that will add layers of flavor. This begins with Mirepoix – Onions, Carrots and Celery. This is the traditional base for building those layers of flavor. Another layer to build on, is created with Wine. The acid in the Wine also aides in tenderizing the meat. In the recipe listed below, Red Wine is listed in the title, as it is a major component.
Jordan Red Wine Braised Bison Short Ribs
- 8# – Hormone – Free, Grass Fed Bison Short Ribs
- 3 Each Onions
- 1 Carrot – Peeled
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Tablespoon’s of Tomato Paste
- 2 Quarts of Beef Stock
- 1 Bottle Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon
- 5 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme, 5 Sprigs of Parsley & 2 Branches of Rosemary
- 2 each Bay Leaves
Clean the “Fat Cap” off the Short Ribs, as pictured here to the right.
Season Short Ribs heavily with Salt and Pepper.
- Sear on all sides in a hot Saute Pan with Olive oil.
- Remove Short Ribs from pan and add Mirepoix & Garlic, Lightly Brown.
- Add Short Ribs, and Tomato Paste. Mix well.
- Add Jordan Red Wine and cook off alcohol.
- Add Beef Stock and bring to a simmer. Add Fresh Herbs and Bay Leaves.
- Cover and let simmer for 2-3 hours.
- “The Toothpick Test” When you can insert a toothpick into the thickest part of the Short Rib and remove without resistance, the Short Ribs are finished.
- Strain and reduce the Braising Liquid – this will act as your sauce!
The ideal way to enjoy a nicely Braised Short Rib is with Polenta, it is a rich, stick to you bones meal that will keep you warm on any cold winter night – Enjoy!
Happy New Year, we wish you all the best for 2017!